The Salar Jung Museum is the largest one-man collection of antiques in the world. It is the third largest museum in India well known for its prized collections belonging to various civilizations harking back to the 1st century. Situated on the southern bank of the Musi river, the museum is not far from the other important monuments of the old city. It is easily accessible from all parts of the city.
The Salar Jung Museum was established in 1951 in Diwan Deodi, the residential palace of Mir Yousuf Ali Khan, popularly known as Salar Jung III, after his death in 1949. The major portion of the collection of the museum was acquired by Salar Jung III, after he quit his post as Prime Minister to the Seventh Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan. He devoted his entire life to enriching his treasures of art. In 1958, the Government of India took over the museum through a compromise deed, and in 1961, through an Act of Parliament, the museum along with its library was declared as an “Institution of National Importance”. The museum was transferred to its present building in 1968. There are 38 galleries in the museum spread over in three buildings. The Central Block alone has 27 galleries, but the total artifacts exhibited comprise only around 25% of the entire collection. It has an assortment of carpets, clocks, manuscripts, ceramics, sculptures, textiles, metallic artifacts, paintings, carvings and furniture from Burma, Nepal, India, Japan, China, Egypt, Europe, Persia and North America.
The museum is closed on all Fridays (weekly holiday) and most public holidays. Entry is ticket-based (Rs 10 for adults, Rs 5 for children and Rs 150 for foreign nationals) except during ‘Children’s Week’ (14-20 November) when school children go free. During the ‘Museum Week’ (8 -14 January) public is given a discount.
Address: Salar Jung Museum, Darushifa, Hyderabad, TS– 500002.